Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Happy Sweet 16 Lauren!!!

Thursday, May 7th was Lauren's 16th Birthday. I still cannot believe she is really 16. This was not just a milestone for her... it was for me as well. :( We celebrated for several days... "Birthday Week". We so totally stole that from you Carri but birthdays have always been like national holidays in our house so I thought it fit us too. Thanks!!! :)
We did little things all week. Tuesday was Children's Day in Korea so we were out of school. We went to the COEX mall with our friend December and spent some time just walking around and had dinner at Bennigan's. It was a fun day! That mall is probably the most like we are used to as far as American malls. Thursday night we had dinner at our house with just us girls. We made a cake and sang 'happy burfaday' (her word). On Friday Grace and December took her out to dinner and to the movies. We LOVE them sooooo much!!! They have quickly become good friends. While they were out... Morgan and I scurried around to finish getting ready for the surprise party we had planned for Saturday night. We even managed to bake a huge cake and hide it in a box... in a suitcase... in the closet... she never even knew it was there. :) She knew we were meeting a few teachers for an early dinner Saturday but what she did not know was that it was more than a few and her friend, Joy, too. I had to get her out of the house a little early so December and Grace could come decorate. That was kind of tricky... i finally told her I wanted to go up the hill to Itaewon and get my hair trimmed.(it did kind of need it) We had a great dinner at 'On the Border' (our favorite place to eat here). It is pretty funny to see a bunch of Koreans in sombreros singing Happy Birthday in English! After we all finished eating we said our goodbyes and they all left. She and Joy and I walked around a bit giving the others time to get back to our house... she still did not know what was going on. After stopping by 'Smoothy King' for a treat, we headed home too. She just thought Joy was coming with us to hang out for the evening. When we got there, I gave her the keys to unlock the door but it was already unlocked. She looked at me with almost fear and said, "it is not locked... I know I locked it when we left mom!" As we walked into the dark room she noticed the balloons hanging and then suddenly everyone appeared with the cake and 16 candles to sing happy birthday yet again. I DID IT... I DID IT... I REALLY surprised her. It was GREAT!!! I was so excited that we were able to surprise her. Although we wish we could have been home to share it with all of you... we feel so blessed to have all these new friends to share the experience with. This will definitely be a 'Birthday to Remember'!


Click to play this Smilebox scrapbook: SWEET 16
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox scrapbook

No comments:

Post a Comment